Founded in 1978, the Institute of Asian Research (IAR) is the premier Asia-focused research institute and think tank in Canada, serving as an active hub for research, teaching, policy support, and community engagement. From its home in the C. K. Choi Building on the University of British Columbia’s Vancouver campus, the Institute seeks to build knowledge and networks to support effective policy action on a wide range of domestic, regional, and global issues centred on Asia.
The IAR advances this mission through five key activities:
- Research, including individual and collaborative pursuits, and the publication of Pacific Affairs and Asia Pacific Memo
- Teaching, including degree programs like the Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs (MPPGA) and the Master of Arts Asia Pacific Policy Studies (MAAPPS)
- Network-building across the University and with partners around the world
- Community interaction with Greater Vancouver’s numerous Asian communities through regular public events
- Policy engagement with policy communities in Canada, the United States, and the Asia Pacific region